Edmonton CC Back to Facility Listing
Email Address:
inquiries@edmontoncountryclub.com

Website:
http://www.edmontoncountryclub.com

Address:
6201 Country Club Road
Edmonton, Alberta
T6M 2J6

Pro Shop Number:
780-448-1333

The Edmonton Country Club was formed in 1896 and members played on a five hole course situated on the land presently occupied by the Legislative building and grounds.

In 1911, the Edmonton Country Club obtained a Provincial Charter and purchased the land at its present location. Part of the course now in use, plus an area in the lower flat land, was being played upon in 1913. The first Clubhouse was rebuilt around the original fire place , where it stood for 43 years.

The old stables for member’s horses are now only memories and the accommodations for members who became marooned by impassable roads in rainy weather are no longer needed.

Over the years many changes were made in the layout of the course. One major change took place between 1933 and 1935 when the “back nine” was moved from the lower flats to the upper terrain it now occupies. This required the purchases of new land and sale of the bottomland below the Clubhouse.

Between 1945 and 1949 world renowned golf course architect Stanley Thompson made significant enhancements to the course. Natural artistry has been ascribed as the essence of Stanley Thompson’s design philosophy. He clearly demonstrated this with his strategic movement of many tee and green sites in order to bring the natural ravines on the site into play. Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there. Over sixty years later members and guest continue to enjoy his efforts.

In 1956, a new “modern” Clubhouse was built. There were many additions and changes over the years and improvements to the Golf course, parking lot and road access into the Club from the City of Edmonton.

A great change to the Club was made with the construction of the elegant Clubhouse facility in 1989. Undertaken by the members and in some instances actually constructed by the members, this facility stands as evidence to the dedication and effort of Edmonton Country Club members to provide the finest Clubhouse and test of Golf in the City of Edmonton.

The Club’s centennial celebrations took place in 1996. As the highlight of the celebrations the Club hosted the 1996 LPGA du Maurier Classic. The du Maurier Classic was one of the four majors on the LPGA Tour. The event attracted the world’s best players, all playing for a share of the $1 million US purse. In the end Laura Davies emerged as the Classic Champion in 1996. Today, years later, the success of the event continues to ring through the golf world.

There are many interesting and amusing stories to be told about the exploits and adventures of members from the horse and buggy era to present time. The Club has not yet finished the polo grounds started in 1913, nor does it now maintain milk cows for the staff. The streetcar line has not yet reached the Club and the building lots on the second nine that were surveyed in 1913 only recently have been developed. Development around the Club continues to grow.

The Club has been and will continue to be one of the great landmarks of the City of Edmonton and a proud monument of the faith and work of its members.