Glendale G&CC Back to Facility Listing
Email Address:
craig@theglendale.com

Website:
http://www.theglendale.com

Address:
12410 - 199th Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T5V 1T8

Pro Shop Number:
780-447-3531

During the late 1950’s a group of Jewish businessmen joined together to form the Glendale. In 1959 the Club was registered as a non-profit entity and in 1960 opened nine holes on 170 acres of land that was originally intended to be a housing development. In 1961 the second nine was opened. A few years later the nines were subsequently switched to the order in which they are played to this date.

A struggle in the beginning, the early Members stuck together to make the project work. Under the guidance of Lloyd Thompson, the Club’s first President elected in 1959, and the craftsmanship of architect Norman Woods, a student of the legendary Stanley Thompson, a strong board of Members was assembled who secured the initial financing and volunteer network and the work pressed ahead.

Due to a rough financial start the early Members personally backed the operations of the Club as they were determined they were not going to lose everything they had worked for. Led by Daniel Podersky, a Vice-President when the Club opened in 1960 ten Members used their businesses and/or homes as collateral when the bank was threatening to foreclose on the Club. The Club decided to issue more shares and was fortunate enough to attract Ernie Afaganis, and ultimately the then very popular Par 27 competition, which was televised weekly from our 13th green. The increased exposure was of great assistance to the Club and more and more people became aware of what a great golf course it was and shares started to sell at a steady rate.

Once the operations became more secure, the grunt work of a new golf course still needed taking care of. And again, the Members didn’t let Glendale down. In the early days Members would spend their evenings helping plant trees and paint fences. Since then the Club has undergone many subtle changes keeping in mind architect Norm Woods’ ultimate goal of placing each fairway in such a way that maturing spruce trees would give golfers the impression they were the only players on the course. Starting in 1979, many construction projects were completed around the course including re-building greens, creating a practice area, tee expansions and bunker reconstructions.

In 1967 the Glendale hosted its first major event, the Alberta Open. It created awareness for the club and attracted notble players such as Moe Norman, Stan Leonard and Wilf Homeniuk. The event was won by a Calgarian amateur, Keith Alexander. After this successful event the Club has hosted many more events such as the Alberta Amateur, Alberta Senior Championship, British Commonwealth Ladies Team Matches, Canadian Mid-Amateur Championship, and the Canadian Amateur Championship. In 1992 world renowed golf architect Graham Cooke played in the Canadian Mid-Amateur at the Glendale and was uterly impressed with the course. After Cooke won the championship, he asked to work with the course's long range plan committee to undertake their next renovation. His company has been contracted to develop drawings for every change done since.

To date the Glendale has had only five Head Golf Professionals; Nick Melvin, Don Buchkan who was replaced by Sandy Robertson in 1979, Peter Robertson who succeeded his father in 1996 and today’s Head Pro Greg McGarry who returned to the Club in 2005.

With 465 shares all held privately, long range plans developed for both the golf course and the Clubhouse and the City of Edmonton moving ever closer to the Club’s borders the future could not be brighter for the Club!