Each year the PGA of Alberta recognizes several Members and Industry Representatives for their achievements throughout the season and their career, as well as for their contributions to the Association and the game of golf. We encourage all Members and industry affiliates to become a part of our Awards Program by nominating an individual or facility that you feel is deserving of an Award (one individual/facility per Award).
Members and Industry Partners are given the opportunity to vote for deserving individuals in the following categories of Awards, presented to recipients at the Annual Awards Banquet in the fall. Awards are also presented to the Jack Skellern Patron of the Year, Top 100 Winner, Championship Winners, Order of Merit Champions, and Player of the Year.
List of Awards for Nomination
- Apprentice Professional of the Year
- Class "A" Professional of the Year
- Club Professional of the Year
- Coach of the Year
- Executive Professional of the Year
- Junior Leader of the Year
- Retailer of the Year
- Sales Rep of the Year
- Teacher of the Year
The importance of the Awards Program, on both a Provincial and National scale, is something the Association does not take lightly. Under the guidance of the Awards Committee, the program has evolved over the years and we believe that by placing a strong focus on the Nomination Process, it will ensure that as many deserving individuals as possible are being recognized. In the past 20 years we have had the honour as an Association of recognizing 31 Provincial winners go on to win at a National level, 10 of which were Murray Tucker Club Professional of the Year recipients! *Once a Member wins an Award Nationally, they cannot win the same category again provincially.
Top 100 Points - Every Member that submits a complete nomination form by August 3rd will receive 2 Top 100 points for this program year. The maximum points you can receive is 2 total, even if you nominate more than one person.
Nomination Deadline - The nomination period will close on August 24th (end of day). Award Finalists will be announced at the beginning of October. Thank you to everyone who submitted a nomination this year!
Awards Banquet & Cocktail Reception - The in-person Awards Banquet will be hosted on Wednesday, October 18th in the Palomino rooms at the Calgary BMO Centre. The Cocktail Reception will begin after Day 2 of the Buying Show at 5:00pm, and the Awards Banquet will begin at 5:45pm.
As we continue to try and improve the process to identify nominees, more emphasis is placed on the individual nominees to put their best foot forward in their application bio. Below is a description of our current Awards Process.
- Once a member submits a nomination for an individual member, this member is contacted and asked to complete a very detailed application form based on the criteria for the particular award for which they have been nominated.
- Based on application forms received by each member who has been nominated by one of their peers or industry affiliates, their application is graded by an Awards Sub-Committee.
- The Sub-Committees for each Award are comprised of past winners of that Award and members of the Awards Committee.
- The 5 Nominees whose application ranks the highest from members of the Sub-Committee are presented to the Awards Committee (Selection Committee) as Finalists.
- The Selection Committee is comprised of past Club Professional of the Year Award recipients.
- The Selection Committee reviews all Award Finalists & submits confidential votes based on a point system.
- Awards are presented to the recipients with the most total accumulated points.
In early October, the top five Nominees who have completed the Application Form and ranked the highest in their respective Award categories, as voted on by the Award Sub-Committees & Selection Committee, will be advertised on the PGA of Alberta website as Finalists, from which one will be selected as the Award Winner.
*Once a Member wins an Award Nationally, they cannot win the same category again provincially.